It was hard to pick just one winner for our Student Essay Contest, but congratulations to Gabriela Campos Gonzalez, a 5th grader at Bridlemile Elementary, for her very thoughtful essay:
Some people I know say I shouldn’t go to school walking when it’s raining, but I say I like doing it.
When it rains I just take an umbrella and shoes that don’t slip. I love going to school when it rains because I can feel the cold, watery raindrops on my face. My favorite thing about walking to school on rainy days is hearing the rain fall on my umbrella.
I think other people should try this. I know they will feel like me.
Gabriela won a new backpack full of transportation goodies. As regular blog readers will know, we had so many excellent essays that we choose several as honorable mentions. Honorable Mentions include:
- Chelsea Houston, 7th grade, Roseway Heights School
- Jake & Emily Ehlers, 5th grade, Bridlemile Elementary School
- Xander Lyons
- Urmi Kumar, 6th grade
- Shealan van Butler, Grade 3, Beverly Cleary School
- Elyse Castles, 5th grade, Rieke Elementary
- Terrell Cunningham, 5th grade, Lewis Elementary
- Vivian Montiero, 8 years old, Hayhurst Elementary
- Payton Arrington, 5th grade, Astor Elementary
- Teaganan Freda-Cowie, grade 2, Sunnyside Environmental
- Wyatt Freda-Cowie, 5th grade, Sunnyside Environmental
- Antonia Freda-Cowie, Kindergarten, Sunnyside Environmental
And thanks to everyone who submitted an essay! Our judges loved reading them.