Powell Butte Reservoir
June 28, 2013
This morning, Portland Water Bureau staff took Nick on a tour of Powell Butte.
In 1925, the City of Portland bought a piece of land at what is now known as Powell Butte for $135,000. In the late 1800s the butte was part of a cattle farm and dairy. Now, the butte is home to a wildlife sanctuary, public trails and green spaces, and our public reservoirs.
The first reservoir at Powell Butte was built in 1979 and became operational in 1981. The completion of a second 50 million gallon reservoir is expected this fall.
For more information on the Powell Butte Reservoir project, please visit the Portland Water Bureau online.