July 25, 2014
The best part of my job is working with trusted partners to build a stronger community.
Here is a snapshot from the past few weeks:
1. I attended the opening of Venture Portland’s new office in Southeast Portland. Executive Director Heather Hoelle and her team work with our 50 neighborhood business districts to promote local jobs.
2. I joined Mayor Hales and Commissioner Novick at the groundbreaking for Daimler’s new headquarters on Swan Island. Daimler is investing $150 million and creating over 400 new jobs.
3. I celebrated the re-dedication of Dawson Park in North Portland. Portland Parks and Recreation, PDC, the Parks Foundation and community partners worked to revitalize this historic park. And Legacy Emmanuel Hospital donated the funds for a new children’s fountain.
4. I attended the groundbreaking of the Urban Grange at Zenger Farm in East Portland. The Grange will serve low-income and immigrant families, expanding Zenger’s work in sustainable agriculture, environmental education, and hunger relief.
5. I spoke at the dedication of LifeWorks Northwest’s new Beech Street Apartments in Northeast Portland. The Portland Housing Bureau invested $3.2 million of urban renewal funds (the 30% set-aside) in the development. It is the new home for Project Network, a culturally-focused residential treatment program for people recovering from substance abuse.
Working with local employers – big and small – to create good jobs; investing in great parks and a sustainable future; helping people in need.
These are the cornerstones of a stronger community.