November 23, 2016
This Thanksgiving, we gather with friends and loved ones to enjoy a holiday meal, give thanks, and reflect on the blessings in our lives.
Each year, I’ve been inspired by the power of people doing great work in our community. Here are some examples from 2016:
- Portland voters who passed a historic affordable housing bond that will bring safe, decent, and affordable homes to more struggling families in our community.
- Public and private partners who stepped up to fund repairs at the recently vandalized Portland Mercado.
- Community leaders from Multnomah County, SMYRC, Elders in Action, Basic Rights Oregon, Disability Rights Oregon, PHLUSH, and others who helped shape the City’s all-user restroom policy and celebrated the conversion of more than 600 single-user restrooms from gender-specific to all-user.
- Mr. Khizr Khan, who spoke at the Muslim Education Trust. He reminded us that all Americans, regardless of national origin or religion are entitled to “equal dignity.”
- Lastly, I am grateful to my Council colleagues, staff, and the dedicated people who work for our City.