Skip to Main Content View Text-Only

The City of Portland, Oregon

Portland Water Bureau

From forest to faucet, we deliver the best drinking water in the world.

Customer Service: 503-823-7770


More Contact Info

Subscribe to RSS feed

Most Recent

View Less

Reporting & Employee Training Information

Employee Training

As a regulated business you are required to provide annual training to personnel who handle hazardous materials. Many of you already have training programs in place and may only need to amend your program to include information about risks to groundwater. Below is a summary of the requirements.

Training program applies to employees who handle hazardous waste and shall include:

  • Risks to groundwater from the handling/use of hazardous materials
  • The location of Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS)
  • How to read an MSDS
  • Contact information if a spill occurs
  • Review of Annual Hazardous Materials Inventory Report
  • Review of  Facility Information Report
  • Potential risks a spill may pose to groundwater
  • Spill response procedures

The following resources will assist you with training. The Wellhead Protection Program training requirements can be downloaded and modified for your use. Please call Corky Collier at the Columbia Corridor Association at 503-287-8686 or Douglas Wise, Portland Water Bureau at 503-823-7473 if you have questions or need assistance.

Reporting Requirements

Protection area boundary
Protection area boundary map

If you are a property owner or developer seeking a development permit within the protection area boundary, you are required to submit a Hazardous Materials Declaration and Inventory in order to establish the applicability of wellhead protection regulations. Structural measures, such as spill control valves, may be required so it is important to have accurate information on hazardous materials early in the development review process.  

Business owners, operators or tenants who use hazardous chemicals and are regulated under this program (by exceeding the threshold amounts of hazardous materials) are required to annually report to the city the amounts of chemicals that they use and store on site. In addition, they must provide a site plan, map or drawing of their facility.

Reporting reminders are sent in the Fall each year by the cities of Portland, Gresham, and Fairview. Annual reports cover the period of January 1 - December 31 and must be filed no later than 30 days after the end of the year. Businesses may submit their annual report using the on-line reporting portal at any time.

Link to Online Annual Reporting System